Sunday, August 16, 2009

Van Halen - 1982 - Capital Center, Maryland


I always try and maintain an open mind when a bands sound takes a new direction or they replace key members, especially lead singers. Bands such as Black Flag or AC/DC made changes in front men (for very different reasons) but I continue to enjoy both eras of their music. There are times however, when a line in the sand is drawn and these crucial member shake ups become a deal breaker. For me, such is the case with Van Halen after the parting of ways between David Lee Roth and the rest of the group, and I never had any interest in the post-1984 Van Halen.

The releases from the original line up of Van Halen remain a favorite on my turntable and on compilations I put together. It's larger than life rock and roll that leaves arena sized foot prints in it's wake. Here are some clips from a Capital Center - Largo, Maryland stop on 12 October 1982 during the Diver Down tour.





Romeo Delight


Unchained


The Full Bug


Runnin' With The Devil


Jamie's Cryin'


Little Guitars


Where Have All The Good Times Gone?


Hang Em' High


Cathedral


Secrets


Everybody Wants Some/Dave's Tale


Dance The Night Away


Somebody Get Me A Doctor


Ice Cream Man


Intruder/Pretty Woman


Bottoms Up


Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love


DLR & security drinking


You Really Got Me

2 comments:

  1. Great clips. I actually like Van Halen with Dave and Sammy. They were like totally different bands, but I liked it all. I know a lot of people are Roth only.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Keith. The footage is pretty good quality and rocking too. Makes me think about junior high school, remember kids having the tour shirts.

    ReplyDelete