Saturday, March 12, 2011

Butthole Surfers - 1991 - Lollapalooza


The summer of 1991 I was a broke ass college student about to start my Senior year that fall. Never been a particularly big fan of arena or big outdoor shed shows, but there were two tours making the outdoor venue circuit that season that caught my attention immediately - the Clash of the Titans tour with Slayer, Anthrax & Megadeth and the first installment of the Lollapalooza multi-band festival - headlined by Jane's Addiction.

I could scrape together enough cash for one, but not both so I had to make a tough decision. I'd already seen Anthrax once and Slayer multiple times in smaller indoor venues and after their first three records, my feelings on Megadeth are rather lukewarm. On the other hand, I'd missed several chances to see Jane's Addiction earlier and was amped up to see them. The deciding factor was the placement of one of my all time favorite bands, the Butthole Surfers, in the Lollapalooza line-up and that's my actual ticket up top.

Here's a clip of some off and on stage antics from the ever enthusiastic Butthole Surfers.



1991 Lollapalooza Line-up
Jane's Addiction
Siouxsie and the Banshees
Nine Inch Nails
Living Colour
Ice-T & Body Count
Butthole Surfers
Rollins Band

plus
MTVs 120 Minutes Lollapalooza 1991
interviews with NIN, Butthole Surfers, Rollins, etc.
(with some video in the middle)


and

Butthole Surfers "The Hurdy Gurdy Man" video

No comments:

Post a Comment